Orientation is the beginning of your journey at UCIC It is a new study environment, for most students a new country and a new way of life. Orientation is compulsory for all new students.
What programmes does UCIC offer?
- Foundation Studies Certificate which on successful completion leads into the first year of the bachelor degree programmes at the University of Canterbury.
- University Transfer Programmes (UTP’s) in Engineering, Commerce and Science. UTP’s are equivalent to the first year of the relevant bachelor degree from UC. Upon successful completion of UTP, students will pathway into the second year of the bachelor degree programmes at the University of Canterbury.
- Study Abroad in Engineering, Commerce and Science. A short, one semester programme for international students looking for a study abroad experience.
What will happen at Orientation?
UCIC hosts a series of activities and programmes which ensure efficient transition to tertiary study.
- You will receive information about your UCIC programme and the orientation kit
- Meet the UCIC staff, student mentors and new friends
- Be introduced to a range of services and facilities available to you as a student
There will also be information sessions concerning New Zealand culture and daily life, accommodation, banking and finance, employment, safety, health, medical and travel insurance, getting around Christchurch, and computer skills all designed to help you settle in to your new environment. Information related to your rights as a student and grievance procedures will also be provided.
Most importantly Orientation ensures that you are enrolled - you will create your timetable, purchase textbooks and obtain your UCIC Student ID Card.
What do I need to bring?
Bring along your UCIC Offer Letter, passport and current address and contact details. If you have not yet provided a certified copy of your academic and English transcripts you will also need to bring these to Orientation to allow you to enrol.
What are the dates and where do I go?
Please see below to find out the date for our next orientation. All new students must attend on this date. You will have received via email your orientation instructions and guide book. If you have not received these then please contact UCIC Admissions on: email@example.com